Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hola from Los Arcos, Spain






I am in Los Arcos now.

August 28th

The Basque party was a great hit. I forgot to mention that this is the area where the ETA and Spanish have been fighting. A strange Marilyn Mason like Basque man was hitting on me at the bar. No thanks. Zunkel was laughing saying that he could find more normal people in Berlin and thought what a strange place with such religious people to have such characters in the bar.

August 29th

Woke up with people leaving soooo early. Toiya was in the room with me. It was good to see him again. I left the Albergue at 8am with Bo Kyong. Saw the famous bridge in Puenta de la Reina that was built by the Romans and had breakfast in a cafe. The town was quite quaint with back streets and cafes. While there we met the 5 Spanish, who were upset that we did not go to their party in Puenta de la Reina. We are to meet in Estella. Also met the 11 Spanish. This is a family 30-70 years of age all traveling together. The cafes and Alburgues get all worked up when they see the family as they take up quite a bit of room. Bo Kyong was walking slower and slower and finally we lost her along the way so I walked with Javier ( a brother in the family) . He spoke great English and helped me understand the Spanish. We had a great time walking to Estella. About 7 hours walking. The amazing thing is it takes 30 minutes by bus. I will never look at 26 km in the same way again. I am getting very tan and my pants are loose after a week. Javier liked that I played soccer but was amazed that a girl played on co-ed team. Does not happen in Spain. He has been playing on a team for years. I will have to ask him again. It had a funny name. Once in Estella the family went off to try to find 11 beds. I sat in the grass and waited for Bo Kwong. I took of my shoes and got stung by a bee. Decided she could meet me at the Alburgue. I took a shower and came back out. Bo Kyong had arrived. We and the 5 Spanish hung out on the benches outside the Alburgue drinking Spanish beer from the vending machine. Went out to dinner and had a great time having tapas. Slept poorly as weather is changing and I was cold.

August 30

Today I hurt. My feet hurt after walking over 120 km. I am starting to get a blister so put some moleskin on it. I did not realize that breakfast was only served between 6-7am. We left without breakfast again. Thought next couple of towns would have food. No comida. I do not understand the Spanish. It depends if it is open or not I do not know what else to say other than that. I walked another 6 hours today without something to eat. Since I already ached it was worse. When I got to Los Arcos it looked like a very small town with like 10 buildings. It was strange. The city is big with all these side streets and cafes inside. Learned my lesson and bought a bunch of snacks for the road ahead. I do not care if they weigh me down. We stopped at the first albergue and ran into part of the 11 Spanish family. We were going to stay, they had beds but then decided to stay at the muncipal one instead where the 5 spanish are. We said we would met. Learned that of the 5 spanish the one girl did not know the 4 guys before the camino. She is now dating one of the guys for 3 days now. Had a great lunch of tapas and a Siesta. Oh that is the other thing everything closes 3-5pm. Bo Kwong and I walked fast to get to Los Arcos once we realized that. We need to go the pharmacy but need to wait until after 5 to do so. Tommorrow have been invited by the 5 Spanish to go to LogroƱo nightclub instead of staying in the Alburgue. I have a feeling will not sleep. Will keep you posted.

Hasta Luego
Michelle

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Michelle,

I am just loving to follow your journey this way! Keep up the blog...I think you are one awesomely adventurous girl!

Colleen

Ms. S. said...

Way to go my Cuz! Love the day to day commentary. Have a Spanish vending machine beer for me!

Unknown said...

HI MICHELLE! You're trip sounds amazing! We're all still waiting for pictures! Sorry to hear about the bee sting. Oh, and don't worry about sleeping, you can do that when you get back!