Wednesday, August 15, 2007

About the Camino de Santiago:

A pilgrim undertakes this journey to search and find not only themselves but to invest in others, lose dependance of "things" and embrace life in its natural state.

The Camino de Santiago in Spain is the Pilgrims' Road from Roncesvalles, though I am starting on the French side of Pyrennes at St. Jean Pied De Port to Santiago de Compostella (where in the 813 a wandering hermit named Pelayo discovered a tomb which was taken to be that of the Apostle James (Santiago in Spanish)). The road is around 800 Kms long and typically takes a month to walk. The road is also called the Camino Francés as once people headed towards France. Now most start east and head west to Santiago.

To qualify for the Compostela, the traditional Latin certificate of pilgrimage, the Catholic authorities in Santiago require that pilgrims must
1) carry a credencial or pilgrim passport (which entitles you to a place in the Spanish refugios) and produce it, stamped and dated at each stage of the journey; 2) have walked or ridden on horseback the last 100 km to Santiago (at lot of people with little time or stamina start at the 100km, or cycled the last 200 km, and 3) declare a spiritual or religious motivation. There is a certificado, also in Latin, for those making the journey for other reasons, or not meeting the criteria.

6 comments:

Cheryl and Greg Morton said...

Hey!!!! Look at you go with this blogging! You must be SUPER excited! Have a great trip!!!

Jordy said...

Michelle,

Good Luck on your Journey! Wishing you only the best of times for a good-friend. You are a strong women and have wonderful qualities! Let your self explore the beauty of the world. We only Have Moments and Minutes in this world take it all in...

Love

Sue

chrisf said...

Hey, Michelle!
Just writing to say good luck, and drop me a line when you get the chance.
I hope you are having lots of fun in Spain. :-)
(p.s. We can't remember your e-mail adress you told us to use...oops!)

Chris and Sandy

Ms. S. said...

Hi Mom!

Can't wait til you get back! I've been doing figure 8's in the back yard 'cause Chris and Sandy don't jog. I've also been getting up much earlier than I prefer. But you're off tramping and I totally understand the urge. Pee on some bushes for me!

your pup,

Oreo

Ms. S. said...

Hi Mom,

I've been so worried about you since you left. I sometimes forget that you have gone and I look for you around the house. Chris and Sandy don't seem upset so I know you will be back. Just don't talk to any strange dogs and always remember to wear your I.D. Tags in case you get lost.

Love always,

Waggle Tail

toiya said...

Michelle,
Yo finally did it.
I came back to Japan on 31st Oct.
I arrived at Santiago on 26th sep, and then I did Hospitalero in Ages and Castrojeriz.
toiya