Sunday, August 26, 2007

Zubiri, Spain

looking onto Zubiri



and a town between Roncevalles and Zubiri...


My in the Pyrennes somewhere and some wild horses that live there, to the left is a picture of signs leading to Pyrennes from St. John Pied de Port...


Hola from Zubiri, Spain currently 91 degrees and hot.

August 24th

Loooove St. Jean Pied de Port. I started on a little red train that takes you up to the pass of the Pyrennes. The view is fantasic. I thought the Pyrennes would be like Snoqualmie area of the pass but they remind me of the San Francisco Bay (Marin County) area, almost sub tropical with Banana plants and Hibiscus flowers in the yards. St. Jean Pied de Port is the best of Europe. There is an old Citadel with the city inside the walls that you can walk on. The Espirit de Chemins hostel was the best place I have stayed at in a long time. The owners are Dutch and didicate 6 months to the pilgrims that want to do the Camino. Only 13 people allowed at any one time. On the 23rd 8 French, 1 dutchman, 1 Japanese, 1 Chilean, 1 German, and 1 American (me). Everyone sat together and talked about the camino and gave helpful hints. It felt so great to have everyone together wanting to do the same thing. I spent the day exploring the city, some built in 1500´s. The church was amazing built I think in the 1100´s. Everything before that was burned down in varies fires. Learned alot more French to be able to communicate on the streets. Had a fabulous dinner with everyone from the hostel outside. I have finally adjusted to culture. Feeling more comfortable and even understand some German when Katia and Dwuarta talk to each other. My jet lag is going away also, 9 hours ahead here. I wasn´t hungry or sleeping when I should and finally catching up on both.

August 25th

Crossed the Pyrennes. OMG it was hard. Katia (the German) and I decided we did not want to go it alone so started walking together. About an hour into it another German from another hostel in town named Dwuarta joined us. It started raining and was so steep. Orisson, the mountain hostel, at the peak was completo (see previous post. A bad word in French, means no vacancy). We stopped anyway for some hot chocolate as we could see our breath from the cold and rain. It took 11 hours to cross. Beautiful, I will always remember the sound of sheeps bells. There are no trees just sheep,horses and the ranchers homes. It started to clear up on the downhill side into Roncevalles. It is the first town into Spain on the other side of the Pyrennes. An ancient monastery and two restaurants consists of the town. Need to be more awe inspiring for all the work it takes to get there. 100 people came down the mountain with us, all going at varies stages. Though I was much faster than Katia we stayed together on the mountain. It can be dangerous. We had the Spanish version of fish and chips: fries and grilled trout for dinner. I love the history. Charlemagne battle monuments are all over the area.

August 26th

Onward to Zubiri. Still Basque country. Everything has a Basque name and a Spanish name. The Spanish accent is hard for me to understand. I now have the edge. The Germans have been speaking English for me and helped translate the French for me. Hardly anyone I met is English as first language as of yet. The girls do not know Spanish. I helped them. At breakfast another German girl told us of two girls last night that got lost and had to spend the night in the Pyrennes and did not make it in until 7am this morning. There was another wicked thunderstrorm last night and it had to be rough to be in the dark and cold till morning. I was one of my fears before going and I am glad it did not happen. I am so glad that Katia, Dwuarta and I stayed together yesterday. We decided to go on our own today. I am in better shape than I thought. I only hurt on the hamstrings but still bearable. Coming out the Pyrennes now looks like Eastern Washington near Wenatchee. Pine trees and more arid. Beautiful montains. Inland is hot. Now 90 degrees. I have not seen the two German girls. When I came into town it was Siesta time and the Japenese guy from the first night told me it was booked up here. Great!! I had 2 nice French guys who I walked the last 5 miles with help me get a room in the next town over for 50 euros. I needed to find the German girls. As I was walking back I saw the hostel here up open and got a bed. What luck but now I feel bad as the French guys probably are going to wonder where I am at. Hopefully I will see them in Pampalona and can say sorry in French. Hasta Luego until Pampalona.

Michelle

3 comments:

Jordy said...

Michelle,

I new that your luck would turn. How wonderful your experience will be!

Enjoy the history and of course every Moment and Minutes!

Susan

Unknown said...

It sounds like you're having a great time! You're so brave! Take lots of pictures!

Cheryl and Greg Morton said...

Hey Michelle!!!!!!

I"m BAck! Okay, instructions on how to post. Must be able to download pictures from camera onto the computer. :( Don't know if you can do that.

-Click New Post
- click on the "Picture" next to ABC w/ check mark

- click on Choose file
- click Upload pictures (orange button at the bottom)
- Click Done


HOpefully this helps! cheers! Sounds like you are having the time of your life.